Friday, August 10, 2012

The Lunch of Aliens

As college approaches, my days as a nanny wind down, so I'm making every bit count. I started introducing the kids to new food, and by that I mean mayonnaise and mustard. They were excited to try mustard when I made hot dogs, but they didn't want it on their hot dogs in case they didn't like it. So, I pulled out one of the oldest tricks I know - Alien Food! My uncle used to do this with us when we were little to make dinner time more fun, and I remembered how much I use to love that so I tried it out on these kiddos. Expected Response Achieved! I started out with a regular old hot dog (actually four, but hey...) and then cut them into rounds like you might do for a baby. Arrange the rounds into a smiley face with the ends of the hot dogs for the eyes and you have the basis for this creation.

Next, I knew the kids all liked ketchup, so I was safe to use that for pupils on the eyes. This is the only time the condiment ever touched the food.

Here's the really fun part - decorating the rest of the alien. Because the kids had never tried mustard before and I had no idea if they would like it, I opted for mustard to be the least used condiment. Thus I used it for the lines of the antennas.
I capped off each antennas with a blob of ketchup, and there you have it. Alien hot dogs.
Happy Friday!!

No comments: